Page 9 - L&T William Avery
P. 9
William Avery Redditch Heritage
By 1849 the increase of the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel’s congregation at Headless Cross
meant the chapel and school room were too small. (The first chapel was built in 1827.)
Subscriptions for enlarging the buildings were not enough so there were other forms of
fundraising. John Avery, William’s father, and his friends organised tea party in a marquee
for 1,200 guests. There were speakers, a choir and ‘a body of instrumental performers’.
17
‘Master William Avery presided’ at the piano. The chapel was finally enlarged in 1858. In
1874 the chapel was completely rebuilt to seat 300 people and a new organ was installed. 18
See photograph on next page.
Storm Damage
A storm in March 1895 destroyed the chapel.
The roof was lifted by the wind, and falling again pushed out the whole of the
wall of the building facing the road, and utterly destroyed the interior, including
the handsome organ, which was only placed there a few years ago. 19
The Headless Cross Methodist Chapel
was destroyed by a gale in 1895 20
Together with personal friends, William
Avery was responsible for the building
of the organ in 1897 in memory of his
wife, Maria Avery who died in 1895.
This was commemorated on a plaque. 21
Page: 9

